An active lifestyle requires great tasting nutrition, and nothing tastes better than fresh foods immersed in spices from around the world. Not only do spices add delicious flavor, they are keys to rejuvenating tired muscles and improving blood flow, which means a better, more efficiently functioning body.
This recipe delivers on flavor, healing powers and more with spices from around the world. Turmeric, smoked paprika, cumin and simple black pepper, freshly chopped herbs of oregano, Italian parsley, cilantro, thyme and basil, and fresh citrus flavors of lemon each provide unique health and body toning benefits, which together pack a powerful meal for lunch or dinner. Omega-3 rich salmon promotes positive heart health, glowing skin and thick, luscious vibrant hair.
When salmon is immersed in this recipe’s key ingredients, the body additionally benefits from anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric, digestive properties of lemon, vitamin C from paprika, immune-boosting qualities of cumin, the stimulation of the breakdown of fat cells from fresh cracked peppercorns and even more wonderful antioxidant properties found in fresh herbs.
Grilled Salmon Kebabs
- 1½ pounds salmon filet, skin off
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- ½ tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley leaves
- ½ tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1 inch squares
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 24 medium cremini mushrooms, whole, stems removed
- 24 medium-length wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 45 minutes
1. Cut salmon into 1-inch thick pieces. In a large mixing bowl, combine turmeric, paprika, cumin, pepper, salt, oregano, parsley, cilantro, thyme, basil and garlic. Stir to mix together and then stir in lemon, vinegar and olive oil. Toss salmon gently with marinade (spice mixture), cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
2. Thread skewers with onion slice, salmon, bell pepper slice, salmon, mushroom and repeat until all are used. Discard any remaining marinade.
3. Heat grill to medium high heat. Add skewers and grill about 2 minutes on one side. Turn and grill an additional 2 minutes. Grill until salmon is just cooked through, turning only once or twice. Serve immediately as is or with sauce of your choice. Basil Pesto and Roasted Red Pepper are good choices, or drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving size: 2 skewersCalories: 502.6Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 8.1gCarbohydrates: 10.6gProtein: 27.3gFiber: 2.3gSodium: 496mg
About the Author: Susan Irby, the Bikini Chef, is a radio host for Bikini Lifestyles on 790 KABC, an author and specialist in healthy “bikini” cuisine. Follow her at twitter.com/thebikinichef or visit her online at thebikinichef.com.