Here are some great reasons to try tennis!
1. Get Your Cardio: Tennis will help you burn fat, sizzle calories (up to 600 in 45 minutes) and improve your cardiovascular fitness through the use of all the movements you have to incorporate to play the game.
2. HIIT Me Baby One More Time: Tennis easily falls into the category of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with its short, intense bursts of activity followed by quick rests over a 30-minute practice session. This type of training helps your muscles process oxygen efficiently and helps boost your energy and endurance levels.
3. Great Crossover Tool: Because of the total-body workout you get and the physical demands it calls for, tennis is great for cross training athletes who specialize in other areas. A lot of the movements in tennis mimics other sports as well. For example, lateral movements on the tennis court are similar to the ones used in basketball.
4. Improve Other Skills: The constant activity of judging the timing between the oncoming ball and proper contact point, then deciding what to do upon contact sharpens fine motor skills as well as hand/eye coordination. This combined with having to stop, start and change directions can happen up to 5-6 times within 10 seconds in a typical point played.
5. Sun and Other Benefits: Tennis is mostly played outdoors so getting some sunshine and the resulting vitamin D is a bonus. Plus tennis is definitely a great social outlet. Join a local club and meet new people every time you go out to play. Tennis also is a sport you can play for a lifetime. The human body can be trained and improved through any stage in life, so it is never too late to pick up this thoroughly enjoyable game!
DID YOU KNOW?
Tennis players scored higher in vigor, optimism and self-esteem while scoring lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension than other athletes and non-athletes, according to Dr. Joan Finn and colleagues at Southern Connecticut State University.
By Frank Fontanilla, Photo by JamesPatrick.com