Sometimes workouts can get redundant, especially if you are working out five weight training days every week and doing five to seven cardio sessions on top of that! I like to get outside in the fresh air and switch it up every now and then. Here is a heart-pumping animalistic/beast-mode workout you can do in the park when you feel stir crazy in the gym or when you travel! This really focuses in on strengthening your core, building your glutes and getting an intense fat-burning cardio session complete all in one workout––with NO GYM needed! Let’s get started!
1. Jump Squats: Start with your feet in a wide stance and squat down nice and low to the ground in order to really engage your glutes. Once you are at the bottom of your squat really focus and use your glutes to build momentum and spring up with a nice explosive burst of energy. At the top of the squat jump, reach as high as you can in the air with both arms up. This is a great explosive exercise that will also get your heart rate going while working your legs and glutes. Do 4 sets 12-15 reps.
2. Pushups: Pushups are always a good exercise for building upper body strength and are great for your core! Do 4 sets of 12-15 reps.
3. Long-Stride Lunges: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Take a large step forward. Then lunge down once you feel a nice stretch in your glute and leg keep your weight in your heel and the leg behind you on your toe, stay controlled and balanced. Alternate each side and keep good posture and keep your core tight. Each lunge practice mind muscle correlation and focus on building nice round glutes. Do 4 sets of 20 steps on each leg, with 45-second rest in between each set.
4. Sprints: I love sprints to really burn fat and get a quick, but tough cardiovascular session out of the way. When I am prepping for my shows I incorporate sprint training 4 times a week into my work out routine. If I am at a track, I sprint as fast as I possibly can on the straight portion and walk the curve as my rest. I will do 15 sprints with 30-second rests in between each one. Do 15 sprints.
5. Bear Crawls: Start with your hands and feet on the ground (on all fours) with your butt high in the air. Crawl forward alternating your hands and feet like a bear, while keeping your butt up. Each one is one rep. I rest for about 30 seconds in between each set. Do 4 sets 12-15 reps.
6. Alligator Crawls: Start with your body in a pushup position. Then move your left hand forward and bring your right knee to your right elbow. Alternate each side as you crawl forward. Keep your body parallel to the ground and your core nice and tight! One step/crawl on each side is equal to one rep. Do 4 sets 12-15 reps.
7. Leap Frogs: Start on the ground with your rear close to your heels and your hands in front of your body on the ground. Leap in a forward motion for a nice long jump and land back in the same position you started. I really love these to get my heart rate up and it works my glutes and legs. Just like a frog, push off legs and land jumping like a frog, each jump is one rep. Do 12-15 reps.
8. Burpees: Start with feet shoulder-width apart, place your hands on the ground in front of your feet (like the bear crawl). Walk your hands forward until you are parallel to the ground in a pushup position. Complete a full pushup. Jump your feet to meet your hands. Squat low to the ground. Spring up with your hands high in the air. Land and jump your feet back to a plank. Jump your feet back to your hands and repeat. Do 4 sets of 12-15 reps.
By Jen Stevens, Photos by JamesPatrick.com