Credit the revitalizing outdoors or the rustic smell of the grill, it’s no secret that men love to grill! For a fit and healthy lifestyle, grilling is one of the leanest ways to cook, especially when grilling lean foods like chicken, turkey and seafood. But even burgers can be lean!
A common perception is that fat equals obesity. But the truth is, our bodies need a certain amount of fat to function properly. Knowing the best proteins that have the least and healthiest fats can be a positive game changer for your workouts.
One of the leanest and most flavorful proteins is bison. Compared to beef, bison has nearly half the fat and none of the trans fat that beef provides. At a whopping 40 percent protein per 4-oz. serving, bison is the superhero to repairing muscle tissue from tough workouts.
Guys, fire up the grill and your fitness quotient with this easy, flavorful Bison Burger recipe.
Bison Burger with Fire-Roasted Corn Salsa and Red Pepper Remoulade
For the salsa and remoulade:
3 ears white or yellow corn, in husks, soaked for 40 minutes
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 red onion, diced
1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped, stems discarded
1 medium Serrano pepper, seeded and diced
2 pinches sea salt
2 pinches ground black pepper
3 red bell peppers, whole
2 cloves garlic
½ cup nonfat mayonnaise (or Greek yogurt)
Fine zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat grill to high. Place corn and bell peppers on hot grill. Turn occasionally to char all sides. Once outsides are charred remove corn and set on baking sheet. Place roasted peppers in a brown paper bag (or a bowl covered with aluminum foil) and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Place tomatoes, red onion, half the cilantro, Serrano pepper, one pinch sea salt and one pinch black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Cut corn off the cob, discard cob and add corn to bowl. Toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Remove skin and seeds from bell peppers and place in a food processor or blender. Add garlic, pinch sea salt, pinch of black pepper, mayonnaise, remaining cilantro and lemon zest. Puree until smooth.
2 pounds ground bison
3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
3 green onions, white and green parts, diced
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon blackened seasoning
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat. In a large mixing bowl, mix together bison, panko, green onions, cumin, cardamom, blackened seasoning, black pepper, sea salt and egg. Form into 6 equal patties.
2. Place patties on hot grill and grill on one side for about 6 minutes. Flip and grill an additional 4 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from grill.
3. Spread one side of bun with 1½ tablespoons red pepper remoulade. Top with burger, an additional tablespoon of remoulade and 2 to 3 tablespoons of roasted corn salsa.
4. Top with remaining bun half. Enjoy.
*Optional: 6 lettuce leaves and grilled yellow onion
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving size: 1 bison burger
Saturated Fat: 3.6g